Tuesday, July 23, 2013

~upon being (not) a world traveler~

I used to remember when my idea of a big journey away from home in Kansas was the really long 6-hour drive to my sister's home in Altus, Oklahoma and my idea of travelling through big city traffic was the sprawling metropolis of Oklahoma City.  Shoot I can recall many times that if I was there meeting up with my sister and brother-in-law that my sister Sherry would have to drive me into and out of the city because those 40,000 lanes of traffic (ok, ok only 8 of them) looked like they could swallow up Kansas farm girls, just like me.  It would be years and years before I would ever feel confident enough to try OKC traffic on my own.  Not sure that I had a lot of confidence and faith in myself as a driver and the truth was, I hated traffic and going very far away from home.

For the first 55 years of my life, my concept of "spanning the globe" (thanks to ABC's Wide World of Sports for that phrase), was journeying up and down the Great Plains states.  From Texas to North Dakota, with side trips to Colorado, Missouri, Iowa, and Arkansas, I from time to time would make a visit.  Never wanted to stay too long and usually by the time I had been away from home for 3 days, I was ready to go back.  Now I know there are a lot of folks who would say that way of thinking is crazy, ones who relish trips of  weeks or more EASILY.  But I know for a fact that there are people just like me who for one reason or another, have been the inspiration for the phrase of being a "home body".  Nothing wrong either way~some like to travel and some do not.  For the biggest part of my life, I've been affiliated with the "do nots".

Things changed for me in that respect a little bit as I grew older, especially since the development of my "Bucket List".  I "realized" the number one thing on my list in May of 2012 as I drove to the great state of Maine to see my very first lighthouse.  Friends and family who know me very well were surprised, no let's say "shocked", that I would even consider such a thought.  But "consider" I did and in the early morning hours that late May day, I pulled out of the driveway of my home in Valley Center, KS. and headed over 2,000 miles to the north eastern part of the country.  On the third day, this is what I found~

 The Portland Headlight-Cape Elizabeth, Maine, construction began in 1787 with the intent and purpose of protecting the citizens along the shoreline from attacks from British soldiers.

Standing on the porch of the lighthouse keeper's residence, I found a total stranger walking along and asked her to take my picture there.  When she learned that I had driven all the way from south central Kansas just to see this place, she couldn't believe it.  After we parted, she walked over to the gift shop and must have told others in there about me because for the next hour, I was approached by several other strangers who wanted to know if I was that lady from Kansas.  That still makes me smile.

In the past three years, there have been many other chances to finally get out of town and find new and interesting places to visit.  Back in November of 2011, between surgeries on "old lefty", on a total "whim" I took off with only 2 days' notice to meet up with a friend in Iowa.  It was my first time to ever venture through Kansas City traffic and I did so at the height of rush hour.  Thank goodness for vehicle navigation systems or else my journey might not have been so happy.  But 8 hours and 5,199 dead deer carcasses later, I made it and because I was willing to venture way out of my driving comfort zone, I was able to witness the beautiful sight shown below.

Standing on the Roseman Bridge in Madison County, Iowa~the place made famous in the movie "The Bridges of Madison County".  It was a chilly mid-November Saturday morning and snow lay on the ground in that part of rural Iowa.


The inside of the bridge is covered with "messages" left by people who had come to visit.  My favourite one was the one shown above, the very famous line spoken by the actor Clint Eastwood in his portrayal of Francesca's new love, Robert Kincaid.  I wanted to leave my own message but of all the times for a teacher not to have a black Sharpie in her purse, well that was one.

I have had the most amazing time visiting a little New England village called Owego, New York not once, but twice in my life.  I went there on the way to Maine in 2012 and had such a good time and met so many wonderful people, that I decided to return again this past spring.  Of course, my visit to New York City was cut short by the infamous and most unfortunate escalator "incident" but at least while I was there I could spend a few days catching up with Owego friends, old and new.  I came away with many good memories of a place that was very easy to fall in love with.  


Breakfast at Angel's Diner with my friend Kevin Millar, the mayor of Owego.


Meeting some of the kids at St. Patrick's School, penpals with some of the kids from my former school of Lincoln Elementary, in Hutch.


Having dinner in the city jail with my friend Diana~better explain that one.  It's the old historical jail that has now been transformed into a restaurant.  Nothing more unique than sitting down to eat a lovely dinner in an old cell.  We had lots of fun!

In the past three years, I've had the chance to make up for "lost" travelling time in this life of mine having seen more sights in a short 36 months than I have seen in now, nearly 58 years of living.  And come this Thursday, the day after tomorrow, I'm heading out for yet another journey, another adventure to the great state of Washington.  I'll be flying out of Montrose, stopping over at Denver and then on to Seattle.  After touching down in Seattle, I'll be boarding a ferry to get to my final destination stop of Whidbey Island for the occasion of my oldest son's wedding.  In a way, it's a little unnerving considering the fact that I'm on my own and flying for only the second time now since 1987.  Never had to catch a ferry before, that's for sure.  I don't think it's anything like catching the school bus or catching a quick nap but if I want to see my son get married, then that's what I have to do.  I'd love to think it will be easy~50/50 chances are that it will be so.  I am not thinking of the other chances, just yet :)  It will be a short little journey of 4,000 miles round trip and a mighty fast turn around time.  But when it is done, I will have not 3 children but 4.  What a blessing.

  
The soon-to-be "Mr. and Mrs. Miller"

Well, the clock is moving fast today as I pretty much expected and it's time to get going, to start this day. Friends, the road to get to where we are going sometimes takes a lot of turns with some of them being pretty unexpected.  May this day's travel  be a very good one for each of you out there and wherever your own personal journey is taking you in life, may it be one of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment