Wednesday, May 21, 2014

~for the children~

May 21st is the last day of school for the 2013-14 school year at Olathe Elementary.  174 days after it all started that day back in August, it now comes to an end.  It's been my privilege, my honor to be a fourth-grade teacher this year to a wonderful group of kids that I always referred to as "the 18".  I wrote my blog post of that first day, now 9 months ago for them as we started our time together.  Today as we end our time as a class I write this blog post for them as well.  It will be a whole lot easier to write it in these very early morning hours at home than it will ever be to read it to them.  I've said many times before and will say again until my dying breath, there is NO greater calling for me to have followed than to have been a teacher.  Year #36 is just hours away from being in "the books". 

So, for "the 18"~

Dear children,

I guess this may go down as the blog post that was the most difficult one ever to write for me.  I've typed and deleted a thousand words in the past 15 minutes since I began it and just can't figure out what to say to you.  Part of the problem is that I just woke up and it's only 4 in the morning but an ever greater problem is that I cannot read the words I am writing with eyes full of tears.  I think what I am trying to tell you is that even though today is the last day of school and I'm as ready for summer vacation as you are, I will still miss you very much.  The strange thing is that I know you will understand and that is one thing that has made all the difference this year. 

Do you remember that day that we first met one another?  That very first day of school in August?  Man, that sure seems like yesterday to me and to realize that 174 days of school just passed by us in the blink of an eye seems hard to believe.  But they did and in between that very first day and the very last one today we have learned so much. 

I want to tell you something.  Please listen to me and understand that what I am telling you is the truth.  In my mind and in my heart I will always remember you as my heroes. Now I know that many of you have your own "super heroes" because I've seen you write about them, draw their pictures and debate with one another as to who is the finest of them.  But I say to you all that there are many kinds of heroes in this world and some of them are 9 and 10-year olds just like you guys are.  Remember how I told you early on about myself?  That I was lonely and very homesick for Kansas and was just about ready to give up ever finding you all and then "voila" there you were?  By coming to class each day and being to ready to learn you gave me purpose, much purpose in being here.  YOU saved ME and the really special thing about all of that  was that you didn't even realize that you were doing it.  You are young people.  It just comes naturally for you.  Your teacher most sincerely thanks you.

We've learned many lessons during this fourth-grade year and I really wish we would have had more time each day to have learned even more.  I've done my best in preparing you as I could to go on to fifth grade next year.  You are very smart boys and girls, all of you and I hope that you will give 100 percent to your studies as you sit in your new classrooms in the fall.  I have faith in you.  I believe in you all and will check in with you next year to see how things are going.  You, "the 18", are the 36th class I have taught in my career as a teacher.  You will make it, of that I am most positive. 

I will take away so many memories of this school year but the greatest of memories will be those of the lessons of life that we learned together.  I love to teach kids life's lessons, maybe because I've had the chance to learn a whole bunch of them myself in my 58 years of living, many of them the hard way.  Remember that those kinds of learning experiences don't come out of the teacher's daily lesson plan book and you will surely NEVER find them listed within the state standards of Colorado.  Those kinds of lessons are sometimes called "teachable moments" and what a gift it was this year for me as your teacher to have experienced many of them.  Do you remember when sometimes I'd be teaching a lesson and then something would happen and I'd just close the book and we'd talk about something totally different?  Those moments were among my favorite and for us to experience them together will always be considered a blessing by me.

One last thing before I go.  Take a look around you right now and look at the people sitting beside you, in front of you and even behind you.  Remember what I have always told you as we have struggled this year to learn how to get along with one another and work together for the common good in this classroom.

"Do you see them?  You are looking into the faces of your brothers and sisters, your friends and neighbors.  You may not always like one another but for better or worse, it would be to your benefit to learn to accept one another for who you are at this moment in time.  You know the saying "I've got your back"?  Use it.  Practice it.  Believe in it.  Take care of one another and really mean it.  I've always told you that it's great to be a top reader and very handy to know how to do math quickly and precisely.  To be an accomplished  writer is a wonderful attribute but unless you have a heart that is kind and good and you care about what happens to others, it will mean little in the years ahead of you.  You all have wonderful hearts and spirits about you.  Please don't lose them or trade them in, EVER."
This is "it".  We found the finish line for fourth-grade and you have all crossed it.  I have always admonished you that we would never leave anyone behind in our classroom.  We are going together, all of us.  Thank you for calling me your teacher and showing up each day ready to learn.  I love you guys more than you will ever even be able to imagine and you know what I have always told you about what you should do if you ever have a teacher who says that they don't love you.  Please be careful this summer and have lots of fun along the way.  I want to see you back here in the fall and hear all of the exciting things that have happened to you.

Most sincerely,

Mrs. Renfro


Our very first field trip of the year at the Ridgway State Park for bird banding.

OK, OK sometimes I DID feel like this would happen to me.  No matter what, I would not have traded YOU guys for any other class.  We were meant to be together and I never forgot that for one moment.  It's called our destiny.


"If you ever have a teacher who says that they do not love you, then it is time to find another teacher."  Children, consider yourselves most loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment