Sunday, April 10, 2016

~and so it took a community~

Last year as a first grade teacher at Olathe Elementary, the kids and I began the tradition of the community rock jar.  Not even sure where I came up with the idea but it was something that we did from day #1.  I had some rocks that I had picked up along the shores of the Puget Sound waters and an empty mason jar.  And oh yes, I had one other thing.

I had an idea.

On that first day of school in August of 2014, I gathered all 22 of those little people around me and handed them each a rock of their very own.  When I called their names, they each came up to the empty jar to say who they were and one thing that they were very good at.  After so doing, they let the rock slide into the jar very carefully.  We talked about how that glass jar was fragile, just like the feelings of each of the class members.  If we threw the rock in carelessly, there was a chance that the container would break.  In a similar way, if we spoke harshly about one another with little regard to our feelings, it could break the heart of those involved.  It was a good lesson to learn.

At first there were only 23 rocks in the jar, the kids' and mine.  Later on in the week, we felt it very important to invite other people to join our classroom community.  They came in to see us and no matter what we were doing at the time, we immediately stopped and headed back to the place where we always met around our "pretend" campfire.  Once we were all settled, then whatever adult we asked to join our rock community would proceed to tell us their names and something that they too were good at.  Toni Brown became the owner of the "big rock" after she joined us one morning.  Nikki Corn and Mary Morris were in there as well.  They were teachers whose daughters were in my classroom.  Nurse Ruthie came in to put her rock inside of the jar and when we ran out of rocks, we switched over to special marbles.  Miss Daisy was the sole owner of those.  Mr. Brummitt, our principal, added his as well.  When we were finished, our jar was filled to the brim and our classroom community was strong as well.  

The 9 months we had together went way too fast and before I knew it, May had arrived and with it the last day of school.  Mike and I were packing up our things to move away from Colorado and make a new life here in north central Texas.  There was no way that I would leave the community rock jar behind so on that last day of school I carefully wrapped bubble wrap all around it and nestled it inside of my belongings.  It made the trip over the big mountain with little concern and once I found that I would be going to Petrolia to teach, I decided that it should go with me to school.  For nearly nine months it has set atop my desk as a reminder to me of the wonderful little community of Olathe, Colorado.  
I brought it home the other day because with about 6 weeks left in this school year, I've begun to bring a few things home each day.  I looked at it a long time this week before deciding that it was probably ok to empty out the jar and do something special with all of the things that had been placed aside.  It seemed kind of weird to dismantle it.  The last hands that touched those rocks were those of dear people back in the mountains of Colorado.  For the first time in nearly a year and a half, I emptied out the jar's contents to place into some of the things that we are attempting to grow here on the plains of Texas.  For a moment I hesitated to remove them but then I realized that it was ok to use them in our flower beds.  The kids would like that.

Now the rocks grace the area where our plants and fairy gardens are growing.  I think the kids would be happy knowing that their special treasures are still with me, reminding me of the happy times we had together last year in the first grade.  Each time I see them, my heart will be warmed by great memories of a time that will some day be so very long ago.


Today Mike helped me to make another fairy garden.  Some of the rocks made a pathway while the "big rock" will soon be a resting place for fairy furniture.  


Earlier today Mike and I put this plant assortment together and I decided later on to add some of the rocks from the jar to the boxes.



And so at long last, the rock jar is empty.  The empty jar will be washed out and placed on the shelf to more than likely hold seeds from this year's flower garden come late September.  Those seeds will be planted next spring and the whole process will start over again.  Yet even in all of that, there is one thing for sure.

I will never forget those dear children back there nor will I lose sight of all the folks who helped me get through some tough times in the adjustment to my new life.  Olathe Elementary people, this once Kansas, Colorado and now Texas school teacher will always be beholden to you. What a great community to call your own!



"The 18" from my fourth grade year-2013-14~
3 of "the 22" from my first grade year-2014-15~

Remembering always just how much God has blessed me as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment