Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Friends I will remember you~part 4



"to meet each of my Facebook friends in person, buy them something to drink and talk about life for a while"


A good Wednesday evening everyone out there and greetings from gray, cloudy and chilly Kansas.  Haven't had much of a chance to enjoy much warm spring time weather around these parts of the world.  Officially the calendar called "spring" out nearly 3 weeks ago but I gotta say there just hasn't been a whole lot of that season going on this week.  We give much thanks for the moisture that has been provided and it surely has come down in about every form imaginable as of late~rain, sleet, snow, hail, drizzle, ice....you name it, we have seen it. Hasn't always come to us in the most desirable of forms but water is water in whatever manner in which we should get it.  And in the least of these things, we give thanks!  

Hey, on the subject of friends~You know, I love what my Facebook friend Scott Lees posted on his page the other night...he said that he didn't "collect" friends on Facebook and that now with the exception of 2 people, he knows them all.  After reading that, I have to agree with Scott~if you are going to answer a "friend request" from someone on Facebook, then it probably would be in your mutual best interests to meet one another sometime.  I've been working at seeking out all of mine since early 2011 as part of my continuing bucket list quest.  Sure wish I could make contact with them all but in some cases, sad to say, the miles in between us at the present time are just too many to travel.  I'm not giving up hope that some day it may well happen and in the meantime, I just keep trying to make the connection.  

With less than 5 weeks now before I get married and move away to Colorado, I'm reminded just how short the time is that remains.  My intention is to find as many of my friends out there as possible, buy them something to drink and talk about life for awhile.  I have been blessed a "hundred fold" and here are 13 more of my blessings to count in this life!


Courtney Bleything-5th Grade Teacher, Lincoln Elementary
Courtney and I have taught together now for two years and I've learned so much by watching her teach.  She's one of the "youngsters" at school, full of enthusiasm and energy and could probably teach "circles" around me :)  When I retire in just a few short weeks, I'll know that the students there will be in great hands with Courtney and the staff that remains.  She is the busy "momma" of two little people at home.  Don't know how these young mothers do it but they keep up with everything and then some.  Thanks for being my good friend Courtney~(September of 2011, Hutchinson, KS)



Debbie Gideon-Long ~ Child nutrition manager at Lincoln Elementary.  
Every day my good friend Debbie gets up even earlier than I do and makes her way to the kitchen of our school.  She's there to greet the kids when they come through the breakfast line and makes sure that their lunch is ready for them to devour in the late morning hours.  Debbie also helped to secure a grant that has enabled kids to have nutritious fruit and vegetable snacks weekly at school.  For the past two years, Lincoln kids have tried many things they have already known as well as things that were new and unique to them.  Debbie will be retiring as well at the end of this school year and will surely be missed by the students and the staff.  Wishing you the best as you retire my friend!  (September of 2011, Hutchinson, KS.)


 Brenda Chastain-Food service secretary, Lincoln Elementary.
For the past 3 school years, I've spent the first 25 minutes of each day with this dear friend of mine as part of a trio of people who supervise the breakfast time of the over 200 students at Lincoln Elementary.  By my calculations, and remember that I was THE charter member of the "I Hate Math Club/Haven Grade School, 5th grade class of 1965",  my best guesstimate is that we have spent over 187 hours together during the course of my time at Lincoln doing just that.  Brenda, I say to you that I enjoyed each and every one of those 11,250 minutes of time because I was able to do it right alongside of you. I will never regret having started my day out that way each and every morning.  Don't know how you keep track of all the kids/cards like you do but I sure admire the system!  I will miss you~(September of 2011, Hutchinson, KS)


Rick Kraus, Human Resource Director, USD 308 Hutchinson
It's pretty much a given...either I am ultra short or Rick is ultra tall.  He was so kind as to scrunch down the day we took this photo :)  Rick has always been good about visiting the schools and the classrooms of each attendance center here at 308.  He really cares about what is going on and the way he shows it is by leaving the familiarity of his own office at the district's administration center and stepping into the classrooms of his teachers.  I admire his character trait of being able to listen to people, REALLY listen.  I have never had a question or concern that he has not addressed in my 15 years with the district and as a staff member, I cannot tell you how grateful I am for that.  One of the very best HR people I've worked with in 35 years of education.  Thanks Rick!  (October of 2011, Hutchinson, KS)


Sara Godbey is my dear friend from the days when I worked as a CNA at the Wheaton House on the Mennonite Manor Campus in South Hutchinson.  I was blessed to be able to take care of her dear mother, Neva Jane.  Sara's energy and enthusiasm for life is remarkable and I always admired her for the respect she showed not only her own parents, but all of the other elderly that lived at the Wheaton House as well.  Was so grateful to be able to stop off at their home a few weeks back to spend the night before travelling on to Montrose the next day.  Kind of nice to be considered "part of the family" there :)

Marcia Pyle-Lincoln custodial staff and keeper of the building
Right off the "get go" I just have to say this~No matter how messy my desk would become, she never complained or thought any less of me for it. She worked hard to make sure that our building was always clean and presentable and I sure do thank her for doing so.  We shared many laughs and stories over the course of the two years we worked together.  I felt the "loss" when she moved to a different school.  I am so very thankful to have met Marcia and become her friend.  We are kindred spirits in many ways and I will miss her when I am gone from here.


Carol Stockton, Julie Masden, Dalia Garcia, Patti Mazur, Elizabeth Cliburn Swingle, Wendy Turley and Andrea Mendoza-great friends on the Lincoln Elementary staff-2010/2011

I have been blessed beyond measure to work with some mighty fine educators over the course of the last 35 years.  The 7 ladies shown above are among them.  We had gone through some interesting and tough times together, but we all knew how to work together with one another.  I love these ladies, one and all.  My heart felt thanks go to each one of them for the welcome that they extended to me that first year I came to Lincoln to teach.  I won't forget you friends and wish you only the best in what lies ahead for you.

"Friends, I will remember you, think of you, pray for you.  And when another day is through, I'll still be friends with you."  the late John Denver in his song, "Friends, I Will Remember You"






No comments:

Post a Comment