Wednesday, April 24, 2013

~upon the end of my swan song~

Greetings from my home in Hutchinson, Kansas to all of you, friends and family out there wherever you find yourself this evening.  As was to be expected, what a beautiful day it turned out to be.  The high temperature, near the mid-60's, was such a welcome change from the frigid cold, ice, sleet, and snow combination that we suffered through a couple of days back.  I wasn't quite sure how the weather would play out today, especially since this morning I had to find a big rock in order to chip the ice off of my frozen trash dumpster. But you know, as the day went on it got a little more pleasant until this afternoon when I left school after our 4H meeting that I was very surprised at just how nice it was.  I  hope that wherever you are this evening that the weather has been hospitable to you and that the winter's cold has finally figured out that it's not all that far from the start of summer for crying out loud!  

The calendar doesn't leave a whole lot of days left until this school year is in the "history" books.  With May 21st being the "official" last day of the year, if I did the math correctly that means we have only 19 days of school left.  Hard to imagine where this year went and if I had a dollar for every time that I had thought that at the end of a school year, well then I'd have $35 in my pocket.  It's always hectic during these times of the school term with field trips, end of the year testing, and that "summer vacation fever" that kids AND adults seem to come down with.  But no matter how chaotic it is, I'm always glad that I've been there to be a witness to it.  That will never have changed for me and for that I do give thanks.

I began what was to be my official "swan song" of being a teacher back in August of this school year.  The weird thing was, I didn't even realize that I was doing it.  It just seemed like a normal year to me, just like they all have.  As the school year went on though, I started to wonder if it might be the time to return to retirement from education.  At first I dismissed the notion, just believing that it was a normal thought from someone who had already retired 3 years earlier.  And I gotta say here, it wasn't because I was unhappy with being a teacher.  Rather it was a more a case of knowing that I STILL wanted to go out on the "top" before I became a grouchy old teacher who should have quit a lot earlier yet believed that they had to stay, for whatever reason.  I guess I would have to say that by February of this year, the feeling of perhaps being ready to stop being a teacher, was strong enough that it got my attention once again.  After a lot of prayer and decision making, I decided that 35 years was going to be long enough.  Shortly thereafter, I turned in my letter of resignation and I haven't looked back since.

I have had many emails from people since I said I was going to retire once again when school was out.  Many of them congratulated me on making the decision saying they sure did wish that they could do so too.  Yet, even with all of the emails from people who are positive that I made the right decision, there have been those who question the decision to quit teaching.  To all of you out there, regardless of how you would stand on that issue, I thank you for caring enough about me to say either way how you felt.  And to the thought that I will ALWAYS be a teacher, which many have suggested, I say you are right!  But as I have learned over the course of time, there are many other ways to serve as a teacher.  I think one of those ways perhaps shall be waiting for me in the future, the very near future.

So how am I spending the last few days as an educator?  Well, in much the same way that every other teacher, retiring or not, is so doing.  We are teaching our students everything that we can possibly teach them in the precious few days that remain.  Lots of great opportunities for growth and learning are still being offered at my school, Lincoln Elementary, as well as every other attendance center across the district.  And I'm making memories, lots of them, of my time with over 200 of the most marvelous kids that you would ever see.  My heart is full of love for them and even though I will miss them terribly, I know that they are indeed in good hands with the fine staff of teachers that remains.

My hope is to return to long-term health care for the elderly as a CNA as soon as we get settled in Montrose.  I plan to give myself a month or so of rest and relaxation before returning to work.  There are several very nice health care facilities in the area to choose from and I've been quite impressed with the one that is the closest to Mike's house.  In the months ahead, I also hope to receive whatever training is necessary to become a hospice care worker, a dream of mine for several years now.  God willing, it shall happen.  From one end of the age spectrum to the other, from those barely out of their mother's womb to those who are approaching their final years, it has been a joy, a great privilege just to work with people.  I feel thankful to have been blessed with not only the ability but also the opportunity to do just that.

Although few of the students know yet of the plan that Mike and I have to be married at school on the last day, they will soon be finding out.  It is important to me to have not only our families there with us, but also to be surrounded by a "village" of little people on that day.  And when my good friend, LeRoy Willis, walks me down the "aisle" of the gym, he will REALLY be giving me to Mike in marriage on behalf of all those kids sitting there amongst us who have been the greatest of gifts that I have ever received in my life.  I will never forget it, as long as I should live.  

I may be leaving one life, one town, one place in which I have lots of friends and family who love me and support me in my decisions yet I'm going to a place where the most wonderful man in the world shall do the same.  I've treasured this life as an educator and all of the goodness that has found me along life's way here.  I'll treasure even more my new life in Montrose, Colorado with Mike and remember forever the happy feeling in my heart when I realized it was never too late to find someone to love and be loved by.  I'm blessed~  Good night everyone and sweet dreams to each of you.


3 special reasons why I get up each morning and head down to Lincoln Elementary School.  I love these kids~



No comments:

Post a Comment