Friday, April 26, 2013

Friends I will remember you~part 8

Good evening friends, all of you out there from cool and rainy south central Kansas.  The sun forgot to shine today, it's been doing a lot that as of late.  But the forecast promises the weekend to be better and the return of sunshine and much warmer temperatures for us all.  Hopefully winter has given up its attempt to thwart springtime's existence around here.  But for all of the moisture we have received in the past two weeks, no matter what "form" it arrived in, we all best be giving our thanks.

This will be a busy weekend around here and with only 4 weekends left before heading to Colorado, I've got one heck of a "to do" list waiting on me.  With the final item remaining on the "Miller Bucket List"~"to meet all of my Facebook friends in person, buy them something to drink, and talk about life for a while", I surely do count the 8 people shown below as my dear friends always......


 Patti Axtell~Speech and Language Paraprofessional, Lincoln Elementary
I owe a huge debt of thanks to this fine woman for all of the help and encouragement she has given to our 4H students at Lincoln Elementary.  She stepped in at the very beginning of the school year to offer her assistance and we were surely thankful for all that she did for us.  Patti serves the speech and language needs of many of our students at Lincoln and it's always kind of fun to see her walking down the hallway with one or two little people tagging along beside her.  She is kind to all of the children and equally nice to all of our staff.  Patti, so glad that I met you and have had these last 3 years to work with you.  I'll miss you my friend.  (April of 2013, Lincoln Elementary, Hutchinson, KS)  


Jessica Mandeville-4th Grade Teacher, Lincoln Elementary and 4H leader
The kids at Lincoln would never have had the chance to do 4H if not for the kindness of this young lady who volunteered to help me manage a group of 40+ students who attended our meetings.  For two years in a row now, she has helped me so much by attending all of the meetings and being a project leader.  It's not a paying job by the way but just like can be said of teaching, you are paid back in many different ways.  Both she and I have looked out in amazement at our monthly 4H meetings at how much the crowd of students has grown.  It's been fun for both of us to be a part of a program that helps kids grow into responsible teens and young adults.  She is a wonderful educator and I have gained so much by watching her teach as she uses new strategies that I had never thought of.  Her students have been blessed and so have I by simply knowing her.  Thanks Jessica for being my good friend always.  I will never forget your kindness to me.
(April of 2013, Lincoln Elementary, Hutchinson, KS)


Leslie Specht-Third Grade teacher, Lincoln Elementary
One of the best things about my job as a Title I teacher is the ability to be able to work with many different teachers at all grade levels.  I have learned so much by watching each of them in their classrooms and Leslie is one of those teachers that have given me that enlightenment this year.  She has the kindest heart and a most pleasant demeanour about her.  Leslie has the respect of her students and co-workers alike.  As I leave Lincoln at the close of this school year, I leave with the knowledge that teachers just like Leslie will remain behind.  Her third grade students have been blessed to have had her as their teacher.  Thank you for your friendship.  I'll miss you!
(April of 2013, Lincoln Elementary, Hutchinson, KS)



Alicia Greene-Title I paraprofessional and dear friend from long ago
We kind of go way back, Alicia and I.  The first time I met her
 she was working at the long-term health care facility where my mom was living.  Then we met up at Mennonite Manor in South Hutchinson, working together again taking care of the elderly residents at the Wheaton and Graber Houses.  And so, it surely seemed fitting that we should once again work together at Lincoln and have enjoyed doing so this school year.  Working in the classroom was a new experience for Alica but she rose to the occasion.  She was willing to learn everything she needed to do her job and I gotta say that she caught on really quick!  I keep telling her that she needs to go back to school and become a teacher~Hey I think she is a natural.  Thanks Alicia for helping me and our students at school this year, especially in the 4H group as a project leader.  I will miss you next year but am glad that I at least was able to work with you this year.  You're a blessing~
(April of 2013, Lincoln Elementary, Hutchinson, KS)


Kyle Duncan~a friend in Oklahoma City, OK
Ok, let's just start this one out with, I cannot believe I am holding a ball python in my bare hands and not screaming with fright.  I had never met Kyle before last summer, even though we have shared greetings back and forth on Facebook for some time.  He went to school with my nieces Brandy and Mandy down in the southwestern Oklahoma city of Altus.  As I read through Kyle's page and looked at his photos, it was obvious that this guy was a friend of reptiles, in particular snakes.  I've hated snakes since I was a kid and always held tight to the belief that only "good snake" was a dead one.  Kyle helped me to realize that I have been wrong about that.  He invited me to come and visit his home in OKC and take a look at his collection of beautiful snakes.  Apprehensive about things at first, it only took me the time that it took to shake Kyle's hand to know that I didn't have anything to be afraid of. I learned a lot about snakes during the time I was there and perhaps the greatest knowledge that I came away with is that snakes do indeed serve a very useful purpose in this world.  I didn't have to afraid of them any more~just treat them with respect when you are around them.  They really don't wake up each morning just "plotting" about which human being they are going to harass that day.  Thanks Kyle for showing me that I had been wrong about them all along.  For your kindness that day, your willingness to teach another person and share your knowledge about snakes, I do thank you friend.  I never will forget that day! :)
(August of 2012, Oklahoma City, OK)
Michael Wilde-former student of mine during the first year of teaching at Haven Grade School-1979
Amy Brittain Pratt-one of the very first students that I had during my first year of teaching at Haven Grade School-1979
Jan Moyer-mother of Michael and Amy and my dear friend for many years.

These 3 friends have been a part of my life now for over 35 years. When I first became a teacher, way back in the dark ages of 1979, one of my very first students was a young eighth grade girl named Amy.  She had the dearest little brother :) named Michael.  I fell in love with those two kids and this "teacher's heart" never relinquished the memories that I made with them during my first year as an educator.  Their dear mom, Jan, was one of the very first parents that I had a teacher conference with.  One of the things that I will always remember about her was the undying support she gave to the teachers.  She loves those two kids and I'm sure she wanted them to grow up to be good and decent human beings.  And they DID!  This past December they invited me to join them and their extended families for a Christmas gathering at Michael's house in McPherson.  For 3 hours that evening, I became one of them and I cannot tell you how happy I felt.  Before I left to return to Hutch, they gave me the gift of a new record player to play all my old albums on.  So Amy, Michael and Jan, I thank you dear friends for your kindness that night.  Who knew when we all met so very long ago that we would remain good friends in the years ahead?  I've been blessed.




1 comment:

  1. i miss u so much you were a awesome helper at my school I was in 1st grade last time I saw you now I'm in fourth I miss u so much peggy I went to your wedding it was beautiful

    ReplyDelete