Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ever notice how one thing leads to another?

As long as I live, I shall never cease to be amazed at the kindness of the human spirit.....and how the doing of "one good thing" just leads to another, all a part of "the plan".


The decision to "learn how to swim well enough to save my own life" came to fruition due to the encouragement of a dear friend.  The choice of doing so at the local YMCA was the result of my "anonymous" friend sending me the application in the mail a few weeks back.  Those two events of life have now led to my joining the YMCA, something I never thought would happen in even my wildest of dreams.


My home here in Hutch is within a short mile walk of the "Y".  Many times, I've driven right past it, never giving it a second thought.  I had not realized, until now, just how much our YMCA branch has to offer its members. In addition to swimming lessons, exercise classes, basketball courts, and the pools (just to name a few) there are two training rooms filled with all kinds of equipment that helps you to work on both upper and lower body strength.  I've known for many years now, just how limited my upper body strength is. Thus,  I decided that a membership in the "Y" would be the most efficient and economical way for me to work on increasing my strength.


I became a member last Thursday and went through the Y's orientation session for using the various pieces of equipment. A member of their fitness staff showed me the different machines that I would be using and allowed me to try each one of them out.  I left the "Y" that evening confident that all I had to do was show up the next day and start working out my plan. 


Friends, that never happened.  And it never happened the next day either.  The following two days, July 3 and 4, the "Y" was closed for the holiday.  So an entire 4 day span had gone by without my even opening the door and taking advantage of what I had just paid nearly $40 a month for.  And why?  Well, that's a simple question to answer.


For as much as I was scared about going into the water for the first time in 46 years, I am equally reluctant to work out on the machines in the weight room.  Oh, I know they are good for me.  There's no doubt that done properly, that type of exercise will allow my back, arms, shoulders and abdominal muscles to gain much needed strength.  I could, if I stayed with it, "kiss my grandma arms" good-bye. 


 Yet, knowing all of the benefits, I was afraid of going into that weight room and making a mistake.  What if I forgot how to use a certain piece of equipment?  What if I did it wrong?  How about all of those guys and gals in there?  They looked like they'd been doing this stuff for years and years.  Would they all just sit there and stare at my "rookie" approach to weight training?  I didn't know if I could really take that chance after all.


Today I decided to go and at least walk into the weight room and look around.  When I left my card at the front desk, my plan was just to go in, see how many guys were in there, and at least try one of the machines.  I believe that I broke whatever the current standing record was for the least time spent in the weight room.  In less than 5 minutes, I was back at the front desk again.  And here's where the kindness of the human spirit comes in.


I visited with my friend Cleta--Remember her, the one who keeps a secret better than anyone I else I've ever encountered?  She was working behind the desk and I had stopped to talk to her about my need to have someone walk me through that process once again before I tried it on my own.  Cleta told me that she uses the machines herself and would be there in the morning, early, and if I came at that time she would show me what to do.


  She reminded me, not to get discouraged and that it would work out for me.  With that very brief conversation, Cleta, perhaps unknowingly, gave me hope that I could also overcome the very fear that was keeping me out of that weight room.  Her encouraging offer of assistance was all that I needed to keep me focused on my purpose in joining the YMCA  in the first place--to become a healthier and stronger person.  To Cleta, I owe my thanks.  


So, come 5 a.m. tomorrow morning,  I am going to be there.  Looking to make a few mistakes for sure but at least I won't be making the BIGGEST mistake of them all and THAT would be not showing up in the first place. 


Some have asked me about swimming lessons and how many more I have.  I'm taking a swimming lesson break until July 16th.  In the days between now and then I intend to go to the pool as often as I can and continue to get used to the water.  As goofy as it sounds, I am still practicing blowing bubbles into a dishpan of water here at home.  It comes easier every time!  When Laurie sees me next, I want her to find me right down there in the 4.5 foot end, ready and waiting to learn!  With only 2 more lessons yet to go, I need to keep practicing.


One final thought-last year at school, one of the little boys that I had in class was always rubbing his hand up and down my arms.  When I asked him why he was doing that, he replied..."Oh, I just love the way your "grandma skin" feels Mrs. Miller."  To that young man, the following note goes:


To my dear little friend,  
Thank you for loving my "grandma skin".  Although I didn't like that comment at first, I now realize that you said it in the most endearing of ways.  I should be glad that you didn't notice that I have "grandma arms" to go along with that "grandma skin".  I shall be working on those arms in the next few weeks.  Feel free to keep complimenting my "grandma skin"--it is because I have been blessed with such a long life so far, that I can even have the privilege of having "grandma skin" in the first place.  How soon I forget these things young man.  I, your teacher, love you very much.  With kindest regards, Mrs. Miller  













No comments:

Post a Comment