Saturday, July 16, 2011

lesson learned

As far as I'm concerned, the "Miller Bucket List" taught me a very valuable lesson today about life and its brevity.  Item #5, "To see the most beautiful sunrise and sunset in the world" is now COMPLETE.  Take a look at sunset, over my hometown of Haven, Kansas this evening.




Someone asked me one time, how would I know that I had ACTUALLY seen the most beautiful ones.  My reply to them was, "I'll just know."  Well, today, July 16, 2011 I saw them and they were every bit as beautiful as I imagined them to be.


The saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", pertains to most anything, sunrises and sunsets included.  You might look at my two photos and say, "Nah, those aren't the best.  The best ones can be seen at ________________________ (fill in the blank with your own special spot of the world).  But for Peggy Miller, these two will long be remembered by me as the most special ones I've ever seen.


Hey, here's where that "valuable lesson" part comes in.  I cannot remember one day in my 55 plus years of living that I have paid attention to and actually waited for the sun to come up and then set down again in the evening.  But today I did-and the time spent between 6:20 a.m. and 8:50 p.m. this day went by so quickly.  


I went to swimming lessons, complained about how hot it was, spent time with a special friend, continued to complain about how hot it was, did laundry and cleaned house, and made a trip to Haven.....and dozens of other little things.  And the world kept turning and life just went on.  I had to wonder as I was driving over to Haven tonight, did I spend this day doing what I should have been doing?  My answer came back "yes".  If the truth were known, I don't think that I could always say that.  


As I was leaving Haven, I didn't realize how fast the sun would sink in the west.  I had to hurry to get any kind of shot before it was too late.  And man, isn't that how life is?  That's why I am so frantically and diligently working on this whole list of things to do before I die.  I don't want to miss out on my chance.  And friends, I don't want you to miss out either.


So what was the lesson learned?  The answer is this-For the first time that I can remember, I didn't take everything for granted that came my way today.  I recognized it as the "gift" that it is. All of us are given just "so" many minutes between the sun's arrival and it's departure each day.  It's a reminder to me to live my life accordingly.  


With a very thankful heart, I say that today, July 16, 2011, was "a great day to be alive."  I hope you had such a day as I did.  Have a good night's sleep Facebook friends and family.  Be ready for the next great day....it's coming up before you even know it! 







No comments:

Post a Comment