Monday, July 11, 2011

the past is passed/that's why they call it that

This is definitely one post that I never planned to make.  In fact, it was a post that, just a few days ago, would have never entered my mind.  But things change and God continues to give Peggy Miller a "whack upside the head" from time to time.  And THAT leads me to yesterday.


When I look back on my life's journey from my childhood in Haven, Ks. to my years of being married and having children, to my time now in middle-age, a single, divorced person who is only in "charge" of herself, I remember a lot of "ups and downs".  The "ups" were great, fantastic! And the "downs" were, well, downs.  Depending on the circumstance, some of them were DEEP downs.  


Friends, it's those "deep down" times that seem to have a lasting impact upon us, at least in my case it has been.  Yesterday, I think I got the "message" that it was time to take care of one of those times in my life so long ago.  


If you don't mind, I'd rather not mention names or any particulars.  But I can tell you that it involved friends  now long gone from this earth as well as friends very much alive and well.  And it meant a trip to the cemetery, a simple bunch of flowers to decorate someone's grave on a very hot July day, and a common prayer, uttered with hopes of peace and reconciliation.  That was it-but in the end, for sure my life was made better for it.


For perhaps the very first time in my 55 years of existence, I believe I understood how it felt to really let go of something that I'd carried with me for a long, long time.  It was the strangest of feelings....my heart was lighter, my spirit lifted.  And when I came home from the cemetery and looked into the mirror I saw a "new person".  It was strange, I REALLY saw someone different.  And she looked a little less "stressed"out and a little happier.  And you know what?  I kind of liked seeing her that way!  :)


Having a "bucket list" continues to change my life each day for the positive.  And for the "life of me"  I cannot tell you how it happens for sure.  Maybe I'm just having an "awakening" or something.  Perhaps it was my time to start shifting gears a bit and preparing for something new that's waiting for me.  But whatever it is, my outlook on life has not been the same.  And that's a GOOD thing!  


Friends, have I known you long enough to ask?  ...."Are you carrying around some leftover baggage from life "long ago"?  If you are, then you know how heavy it is and what a burden it is to hold onto for so very long.  And it's always in the way, coming between you and life right now.  Just a thought, how about letting it go? And if you aren't ready to let all of it go, then how about starting with a little bit of it?  Baby steps, baby steps. It's easier than you think, PROMISE!




  I've always loved hearing this quote-sorry but I don't know who to attribute it to-


"Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery.  Today is a gift...that's why they call it the "present".   My friends, may we always hold those words close to our hearts.





















No comments:

Post a Comment