Saturday, July 23, 2011

Oh my gosh, I really did pass! :)

Well friends, it FINALLY happened!  45 long years after a 10-year old's perceived "near drowning" at swimming lessons, I PASSED THE FIRST SESSION OF SWIMMING LESSONS...and so I guess I'm now officially a "polliwog".  And I could not be prouder!  :)
This photo shows my teacher, Laurie, and I after finishing up our 4th lesson today at the YMCA.  


I have always believed that we would never be able to get through this thing called "life" without the encouragement and support of our family and friends.  So on this monumental day in the life of a "former 10-year old" water phobic, I must indeed offer my thanks to some people who helped me along this journey.


If it would not have been for one the dearest and most special people to me in this life. I would have never considered learning to swim in the first place.  But when my dear friend learned of my bucket list and that I didn't know how to swim at all, he so wisely steered me away from getting a tattoo and replacing that desire with "learning to swim well enough to save my own life someday."  So to that person I say a sincere thank-you and that your friendship means everything to me.


And then, how can I forget my "anonymous" friend who had the YMCA staff  send me the application for private adult swim lessons.  I still don't know who you were and I may never know.  But may I say "thank you" that you care enough about me to give me that little "kick in the seat of the pants" to get me going.  Without your "quiet encouragement" I might not have started lessons so quickly.   Now, I am excited enough to continue them further.  


Oh, and dear Cleta!  The nice woman who sent me the letter from the Y.  Cleta, you are one of the very best secret keepers I've ever come across.  There's no way I would have been able to get any names out of you as to who wanted me to have that letter.  And the REALLY nice thing is, now I have a new friend named Cleta Ellington whom I may never have met without the kindness of another person.   Isn't it amazing how one good thing always seems to lead to another and another.  


And for all the little kids who gave me such wise advice on swimming.  Dear Meggy, my niece in Florida, had it pretty much figured out and I tried to listen to what she told me to do.  You know what?  It really works!  When I asked some of my summer school students for "tips" on back floating better, they all had pretty much the same advice...just relax Mrs. Miller and keep your tummy up!  I think they've heard that from someone else before!  


Couldn't forget about the two Lauries-well, actually Lori and Laurie.  Lori Johnson, my dear friend from Lincoln School, went with me to the Y one day just to help me get used to the water.  She didn't mind a bit, even though she swims in the lap-pool, hanging out in the 3 foot water with me during the early practices.  My deepest thanks to a very wonderful swim teacher who is also the Aquatic Director at the YMCA, Laurie.  Wow, who could have asked for a better teacher than her? Her calm demeanor, kindness, encouragement and very gentle prodding along the way helped me to stay in the water longer than I've ever done in my whole life.  I do believe, at this point in time, that I will always refer to her as "Laurie, the Miracle worker."  


and to mom, well....


Dear Mom, I did it!  I made it through all four lessons without crying.  I listened to what the teacher said to do and you know what, I didn't drown!  I can face float and back float now Mom and just for good measure, I can even kick while I'm doing it.  Today, I actually felt like you were there with me...sitting along the side of the pool and I did my best Mom because I wanted you to be proud of me!  And I know you are. I didn't cry at the lessons but the little 10-year old girl that I used to be (and still am in many ways) is crying right now.  I miss you and daddy and every day mom I still try to be a "good girl" just like you said I was.  I would say to have a great day in Heaven Mom, but every day is great there!  :) See you when I get there..... Love, Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment