Monday, January 16, 2012

Old Lefty who used to be normal....continued

Back when "old lefty" used to be normal, long before my stupid curb jumping incident in August, I never gave much thought to what my left arm looked like.  All I knew was that it matched my right arm and I honestly didn't give it a lot of thought.  Well friends, gotta tell you~those two arms don't even come CLOSE to matching any more.  And IF "old lefty" isn't the prettiest sight right now, I hope you will still be my friends, regardless.  Knowing you guys, I'm guessing pretty sure that your criteria for choosing friends has little to do with outward appearances and EVERYTHING to do with what's on the "inside" of a person.  :) 


Today's visit to the "land of miracles" was visit #1,000 something (ok, ok-really about the 25th one) and what I hoped would be the removal of the 7th cast/exoskeleton.  I slept well last night and arose at my usual time of 4:30 in anticipation of my 9:15 appointment.  Man, what a long haul it's been and on this, day #164, I was so ready to get the cast off...at 10:00 a.m. it was a done deal.  Been waiting (im)patiently to take THIS photo:


As soon as the cast came off and the pin was pulled out, I had a chance to look at "old lefty who used to be normal" and it wasn't a pretty sight.  I felt sad when I saw it, an overwhelming feeling of grief came over me.  Vanity reared its "ugly head" and I thought, "How on earth can I post THAT kind of a photo on my blog page?  What will people say, what will they think?"  


But this blog is therapeutic and I have posted many photos of my arm in order to remember for myself just what I had to go through to regain even a small amount of normal usage.  It has helped me in this struggle to recall how far I have come in nearly 6 months as well the efforts of a lot of folks who know more about medicine than I ever will.  This stage in recuperation is a necessary one and I need not be ashamed...so here's how it looks~




Where the pin came out will need to be covered for a few days, lots of swelling and deep bruising still as well as a pretty good case of snake skin.  By the way, I swear I was born in 1955~it would only appear to be my sainted Grandmother Brown's skin...(love you Grandmother <3)


For the next 6-8 weeks, I'll be sporting this very colorful, "get the heck out of my way neon pink" long-arm splint in order to protect the very fragile bones that are still healing inside my arm.  I chose "brilliant" pink, the same as last time, because it seems to help the 250+ kids I see at school each day to see me coming.  I'll have to be very cautious as I go about the day but I feel sure that all will work out ok...just so long as no curbs are involved!  




Hey, it COULD ALWAYS be worse and I know it!


I end this January 16th with a grateful heart and thankful for all of the people who have helped me this day.  For the 2 x-ray technicians, the nurse who removed the cast, Dr. Chan, and even the front desk gal who knows me well enough now to always call me by name, I am deeply beholden.  Life can get pretty tough sometimes and without the care, love and support of others, it can get a whole lot tougher.  You, my faithful and dearest of friends have helped me so much.  I hope someday that I can somehow carry the load for you too.  Good Night!


PS~THIS I CAN SAY WITHOUT ANY DOUBT!~I am WAY more determined to get well than I would EVER be afraid!  I'm going to make it yet  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment