Friday, December 16, 2011

Like Red Green's Toolbox

By the time the calendar shows the late evening hours of December 21st next week, "old lefty" will have endured 3 consecutive seasons of trying to get well after my August 4th accident.  Beginning on that fateful and early August morning and running through the autumn months of September, October, and November, well let's just say I feel like I've been around the block at LEAST twice. 

 But I'm hanging in there and hey, when I checked the obituary page of The Hutch News just a moment ago, I wasn't even listed.  I think about something that my good friend LeRoy Willis said to me once in a message and surely  you have heard it many times as well.  "Peggy, what doesn't kill you ONLY makes you stronger."  So I rejoice in the fact that I am still here and if what LeRoy says is true and the old song by Chicago says, then I shall be "Feeling Stronger Everyday."  Young people reading this, Chicago is not only an Illinois city.  It is also one of the greatest musical groups ever.  Just wanted to clear that up for you kids  :)

Yesterday actually came and went rather quickly, much to my surprise.  I slept very soundly the night before, never waking even once.  In the hours before I left, I finished up some of the last "2-handed" things that I needed to do like changing bed linens, vaccuuming, and of course my weekly contribution to the betterment of Hutchinson's economy--a "WalMart run".  So with a clean bed to lie in, a canister of dirt from the carpeting, and my $150 contribution towards the shareholders of Sam Walton's corporation, I travelled lightly.


I made it to Wichita with plenty of time to spare and before I knew it, I was being prepped for surgery.  Rather than completely being put to sleep, I received a block in the armpit that rendered "old lefty" the same as useless. Got to tell you friends, now that is the weirdest of feelings!  As I lay waiting for the trip to the O.R., I had absolutely NO clue where that arm was.  I figured it had to be perhaps across my chest but when I reached for it, no arm!  Well I knew it had to be SOMEWHERE, so I began feeling around to try and locate it.  It took a moment or two but at long last, there it was...stuck down in between the bed rails, pointing due south.  Kind of glad that it didn't try to go any further away from me.  :)


Dr. Chan and his crew had a big job ahead of them in performing what we all hope to be the final surgery on my arm.  I had the utmost of confidence in his ability to do the necessary repairs.  So with that certainty, I just closed my eyes and left the job to them.  Right before they put the drapes up to begin the surgery, I asked them to let me see "old lefty" one last time.  You know, it made me feel better to be able to look at it and see just how far I have come.  The scars alone will tell one heck of a story someday.  


Well, 90 minutes and a whole lot of other stuff later, "old lefty"  was done...the before and after x-rays tell the story better than I can....


                                                                   
                                                         Day 1-Aug. 4th






                                            
                                                 Day 133-December 15th


Remember how I mentioned once that before the first surgery the doctors kept telling me that it looked like a bomb had exploded in my arm?  Well now, I kind of think it looks like Red Green's tool box might have blown up in there instead!  By my count I see a plate that really resembles an open-end wrench, one heck of a long screw, as well as 1 really long nail (ok just a pin).  All that is left to play a game of "I Spy" would be a roll of the "Handyman's Secret Weapon", duct tape.  And by the way friends, don't give them any more ideas, ok?  If I ever get over my fear of flying I'd better plan on a whole lot more time to go through security.  Just saying...


Well friends, nearly time for another Percocet, some lunch and one more nap.  Since I began typing this blog post at 5 this morning, I've taken a bath plus three nap breaks.  Hey only 6 hours to finish this post one-handed and with my mind in a stupor from pain killers.  I do believe that beats my record from the first time around!  Have a good rest of the Friday my friends.  I'm thinking of you all and I wish for you only the best!




And as would be said by one of my favorite tv personalities,  Red Green, "Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all pulling for you."




   













No comments:

Post a Comment