Sunday, December 11, 2011

return to "the land of miracles"

Come tomorrow morning, about 12 hours from now, I'll be making my way back to "The Land of Miracles", the Kansas Orthopaedic Center in Wichita to see what the good Dr. Chan can do to help out "old lefty".  Geesch, seems like I just left there but in reality I was dismissed from their care for the first time around, clear back on November 4th.  Wow, time flies when you're NOT wearing a cast!


It's time to talk about surgery #3 and with luck, I am hoping it can be scheduled for later on this week.  If it can be done then, I will have all of Christmas break from school to start healing and for me that would be a very good thing.  We'll see what he has to say about things and once again, I put all  of my trust and faith in the man who saved my arm.  Friends, I am not even afraid.


The original talk back at that last appointment in November involved a surgery that could tremendously help "old lefty's" current and rather compromised condition.  Dr. Chan wants to go in and remove a piece of my ulna, that long arm bone that runs along the outside.  It's too long now to match up with what is left of my radius.  After they remove what bone segment they need to, then the remaining pieces will be pinned together.  


They also need to go in and clean up and, for lack of a better term, "sand down" the huge bony area that protrudes from the wrist.  It's what my students very lovingly and respectfully call "Mrs. Miller's bump". Those kids, bless their hearts, have been my "protectors" since the first day of school.  It never even mattered to them that my arm looked different or weird in any way.  They got used to it immediately and after a while they didn't notice it all.  And I must tell you, it always felt so good when one of them would reach up and take "old lefty's" hand in theirs as we walked down the hall together.  Feeling their warm hands in mine helped to take away a lot of the pain that I felt, both inside and out.  They saved me~and I shake my head in disbelief to realize that they didn't even know they were saving me.


Dr. Chan also spoke of doing a carpal tunnel release in order that perhaps I could get some of the feeling back in my hand again.  I'm looking forward to that possibility, believe me.  It has been the weirdest of experiences to not feel my hand fully.  This perpetual "dang my hand is asleep" feeling has been a real pain in the ........hand.  


Whether or not any of this can be done will be the decision of Dr. Chan and his staff.  I go by what they say and I do not question any of his motives.  Whatever he decides is "ok" by me.  It is so wonderful to have a doctor that you can put every bit of your trust in.  I don't have to worry about what he's doing because I know with all of my heart that he is doing what is best for me.  Talk about a sense of real peace-that's how I feel with Dr. Chan on my side.  I pray you never have to go through any of this, but if you do sometime, I would bet my life on Dr. Chan's abilities.


I've spent the last few days getting things ready in anticipation of soon having a long-arm cast on once again.  My experiences last time taught me some very valuable lessons.  Of necessity, I had to learn the hard way and extremely fast.  One minute I'm riding my bike and having a great time....the next minute I wake up from surgery with an external fixator attached to my arm.  And suddenly, all those things that you once thought were so "all fired" important in life, now mean very little to you.  Your only goal in life becomes getting your arm healed up, not how neat, tidy and organized your towel closet can be.  It was an experience that brought me to my knees in more ways than one.


Friends, I don't think I could ever thank enough all the people that have helped me during these last 4 months.  Family, friends and co-workers, even people I really didn't even know, all pulled together to get me to the spot that I am at now.  You guys did everything for me and the crazy thing is this....You'd do it all over again for me or any other person in need, with absolutely no questions asked.  The mark of true friends and family~and I say to you all a very heart felt "thank you".


So, no matter what the verdict is tomorrow, I am prepared and ready to get this over with.  I'm not afraid guys, not one little bit.  I know how far I've come and I am sure not going back THERE again.  Good night everybody!  And by the way, it's kind of nice to have someone to say "good night" to-thanks.....






                        Dr. Prince Chan, my all-time favorite doctor ever.  






"Old lefty" has come a long, long way.  This used to be all that could be done.  I have to remind myself of just how far I've had to travel back.  (September 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment