Thursday, December 29, 2011

Saying good-bye to 2011

At the time of this posting, the year 2011 is less than 72 hours from officially becoming "last year".  As for me, I believe I can honestly refer to it as the very best year I've ever had.  Yeah, yeah, yeah I know what you are thinking but really guys, I've been blessed beyond measure this year and for that I am ever thankful.  So much has happened to me...much of it wonderful, some not so much.


I got to fulfill a dream of going on the "Bike Across Kansas" in June and believe me, I've been trying to do that for years now.  My ride ended at the McPherson County line but who cares?  Heat stroke and dehydration took me out this time but there will be another time.


I made a new friend who, when finding out that I couldn't swim, encouraged me to get back in the water and at the very least, learn how to swim well enough to save my own life someday.  With his encouragement and wise advice, I got over my fear of the water and this former "hydrophobic" re-entered the water for the first time since 1965.  And the greatest blessing was becoming good friends with a wonderful guy who is now my dear friend.


For the first time since "forever", my 4 surviving siblings and I were able to be together.  We had a great family reunion back in our hometown of Haven, Kansas.  Lots of stories about growing up were told and re-told.  I noticed that some of our stories were being "embellished" in many ways but you know, so what?  It was fun to laugh hard enough to cry and for those memories I'm so very glad.




The Lord blessed me with being able to spend a lot of time with Ricky, Grahame, and Ursela.  This mom's heart is filled to the brim with love for those 3 children.  I'm proud of them and happy that despite the times I would not have been a good candidate for "Mother of the Year" they made it any way and still loved me!


I was able to continue doing a job that I have loved now for nearly 35 years.  I'm a teacher, fortunate enough to work with a fine staff of folks at Lincoln Elementary.  Each day we have the chance to make a difference in children's lives and as I've said so many times before, I have learned more from them than they sometimes have learned from me.  


I became friends with new people and reacquainted myself with friends from the "land of long ago and very far away."  What a gift to have good friends who help you, encourage you, pick up the slack for you when life seems pretty impossible.  I am here to attest to you that without my friends, 2011 would have been a most difficult time in my life.  Thank you for the gift of friends.


I had a "once in a lifetime" chance to see the most beautiful sunrise in the whole world on July 16th when I watched that brilliant orb rise in the Kansas summer sky from a vantage point on Eales Road, south of Hutchinson.  One moment in time forever sealed in my heart.


And perhaps the best thing that happened to me this year was my bicycle accident of August 4th.  God sent me a "wake up" call that late summer morning and despite all the pain and misery the last 5 months of 2011 have brought me, I say to you all that I'm a much better person because of it.  No longer will I take this life for granted.  Its fragility was made most apparent to me and I was the recipient of a "do over" in the form of the gift of a bone from someone who chose to make a difference even long after they were gone from this earth.


My prayer for you dear friends, for all of us, is that 2012 will be a year filled with blessings, peace, hope and joy.  I surely am glad to call you my friends...thanks for sticking by me..I owe you all one!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment