Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Aftermath

It's Wednesday and by this time all of the remaining riders are well on their way out of McPherson and making the journey to Cottonwood Falls--Day 5 has begun.  I am at home and feeling better than I did yesterday at this time.  I finally got to sleep about midnight last night and woke up at my usual time of 4:30.  My plans are to do just what the dr. said, believe it or not, and just rest today.  I shed my share of tears last night but today is a new day.  And surprisingly enough, just because yesterday was a bad one for me, the world is still turning and life continues on. 


What a difference one day makes in how we look at things!  Today as I think about it, I really have a lot to be thankful for in a journey that didn't exactly go as planned.  In 5 days of travel, I never had a flat tire, problems with  my bike chains, or any other mechanical failure.  I always managed to have plenty of fluids on hand and snacks to eat along the way.  I never got lost (thanks to MY HEROES, Shelley and Clint).  And miraculously I was able to hang on to all of my stuff the entire time.  I was able to locate my helmet, gloves, cell phone, tire pump, money, sleeping bag every single day.  Heck, I don't have THAT kind of record here at home.  :)  So for the friends that loaned me items to take along for the trip, rest assured your "stuff" is safe and sound here at home.  And with thankful realization, except for the heat stroke/dehydration issue, I didn't have any type of physical injury for a change.  Hallelujah!  


One of my original goals, while on the BAK, was to think about life and to learn a bit more about myself.  Believe me, when all you do is ride a bike for hours at a time, you definitely have plenty of time to think!  One very nice thing that I came to realize is that Peggy Miller is a very capable person after all.  While it wasn't exactly a lot of "fun" to take down and put back up a tent each day on my own, I could do it.  "Camp Miller" took on a slightly different geometrical shape each day but it sufficed and gave me adequate shelter.  I was always worried that I would lose a tent stake as I packed up each day.  This morning I counted and actually found that I had come back with 2 more than I had taken.  I think that's called a "net gain" or something.  Surprisingly enough, I also managed to figure out how to climb into the back of those big trucks that hauled our gear from town to town.  I was nervous that my little short legs would never be able to get up into the bed of that truck but they did.  I'm sure that anyone who was watching would have thought it to be quite comical to see.....maybe that's why I always did it in the dark of the early morning hours.  The less people that had to "witness" that spectacle, the better! 


Even in the heat and wind, with long miles ridden each day, I want you to know that I had fun.  It was fun to watch all the different people on the ride and to make friends with many of them.  I had a great time talking to the kids that were riding on the BAK and to watch their fierce determination and spirit as they tried their best to go the course. It's not every day that a person has the chance to make 900 new friends at once.  BAK has given me that chance.   


My bike is "temporarily" parked while I wait a couple of days before riding again.  But, I WILL be riding again!  I feel pride in riding what I did--according to the odometer, I have ridden 1,050 miles since I purchased my new bike in mid-March.  I have learned that I CAN do it--I need not have feared.  Heat and dehydration stopped me at the half-way point but that is SO all right.  I have always asked that God would provide me with just "enough".  I believe that He said,  just inside the Rice County, Kansas line, "Peggy, you have gone enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment