Thursday, June 9, 2011

Item #2 on the Miller Bucket List

To Power Parachute Once More...Kind of an explanation

This is one you  might have to have explain to me...because, for the life of me, I don't understand it either!  I hate heights and I for sure hate flying!  And with power parachuting, you kind of have to do both of those things.

  Before saying anything else, I want to explain to those who don't  understand what power parachuting is, this is what it is NOT.....It is NOT strapping a parachute onto your back and jumping out of a plane circling in the air 1,000 miles above the earth.  OK, I know that's an exaggeration on the 1,000 miles part but you get the idea.  I may be crazy to power parachute, but I am NOT STUPID!  There is NO way that someone is going to convince me that it's "OK" to jump and know that my chute will open.  (LOL)  And to my dear niece, Jessica Scott, who has parachuted before.....let me be the first to say how much courage I believe you have.  I admire that and who knows, someday before I die, perhaps I too will jump.

Power parachuting, for lack of a better way to describe it, is riding one of the fanciest "go-carts" I've ever seen at heights anywhere from 500 to 1,500 feet in the air at speeds of anywhere from 25 to 35 mph.  Oh, and the parachute part?  Well, it's what helps you to stay afloat as cruise the skies.  And if you've ever seen power parachutes in "action" then  you know how beautiful and exotic some of those parachutes are.  A sky, filled with power parachutes, makes you think you've gone to Albuquerque for the balloon fest-and someone forgot to tell them to switch out the go-carts with baskets.  It's a most gorgeous sight to see.


I have power parachuted twice before at a place called Skyview-located over on South Mohawk Road, just out of South Hutchinson.  (see above)  It's a great place, owned by a gentleman named Morris Yoder.  If you've ever been out that way there is a good chance that you've seen Morris and many other pilots in the air.

In a couple of weeks, after this summer's wheat harvest is through, I'll be heading out to Skyview for "ride #3".  I'd be more than happy to have any of you join me on a power parachuting excursion....just let me know!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment