Thursday, June 16, 2011

Reconnections

My life has sure been filled with "chance" meetings of different kinds of people.   Some slip in and just as quickly and quietly, slip out again.  And there's nothing really bad about that, only the way that life is sometimes.  Today I was able to "reconnect" with some Facebook friends who have made quite a mark on my life, in one manner or another.  I know that some of you will know them--they are good people!


Before you even have to ask, YES I was standing up as tall as I could and NO the "big guy" wasn't standing on a box. This is Chris Mason, one tall Facebook friend!  Chris and I worked together on the staff of Avenue A Elementary School during the 2009-10 school year.  As our school counselor, Chris worked with all the students in a variety of roles.  He was well loved and respected by the students and the staff there.  


For all you FB friends who are parents out there......You can only HOPE that your daughters bring home young men for you to meet that have half of the positive character traits that my friend Chris has.  His heart is filled with love and kindness and his spirit is overflowing with goodness.  He is one great listener and perhaps that is why he makes such a wonderful teacher and counselor.  As far as I'm concerned, he is the best role model I've seen for integrity and character.  


If you know Chris, you'll be happy to learn that he and his wife, Brooke, are about to become parents.  They will be adopting a little baby boy to be born in July.  Now THAT is one blessed little baby!  Chris will be a "natural" at it.  :)


Hey, this next photo shows a fine group of women that I run into on a fairly regular basis at my favorite place to go, "It's All About You" in South Hutchinson.  


Starting on the left, that's Annette, Joyce, Kalisha, and Sara.  Anytime that I make my way down to the salon, whether it's to tan or to get my hair done, I always get a nice and warm welcome from them.  I think one of the things I like best about this place and crew of folks is that they always appear to be enjoying their jobs.  They have fun, they joke with one another, they laugh together.  That kind of atmosphere is what keeps customers coming back.  Each of these ladies may have a different job to do, but they work together in the spirit of cooperation.  Way to go gals!


Sara and Joyce are good examples of friends whose paths you cross many times in this life.  Years ago, (the 1990's) they worked with me as classroom aides for some hearing-impaired students I had in my 1st and 2nd grade class at Yoder.  I would always watch in amazement as they "signed" for the students while I taught the lesson.  They made it look SO easy to do and I admired their abilities.  


Every person on this earth has a gift or talent to offer up every day.  Perhaps it is lending a "listening ear" or a quiet place for a troubled child (or adult for that matter) to calm down.  It might be the friendly "hello" as you walk in the door of a business and the sincere "thank you for coming in today" as you walk back out of it again.  For sure, in my case it's Kalisha who knows without even being reminded just what to do with Peggy Miller's sometimes "unruly" head of hair.  


For whatever talent it may be, chance encounters with people have the opportunity to either "make" or "break" your day.  I give thanks for these Facebook friends with whom my days are always made!

No comments:

Post a Comment