Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's In The Mail

Normally the mailman delivers some pretty ordinary stuff to my house each day.  You know, bills, junk mail, bills, a magazine or two, and oh, did I mention bills?  Today was no exception....my city of Hutch bill, my Verizon bill, an advertisement for Dish Network, and last but not least....an envelope with the return address:  716 East 13th St., Hutchinson, KS  67501.....home of our local Reno County YMCA.  Why in the heck did I get a letter from the YMCA?  Probably wrong person...but I opened to be sure.


There inside, folded neatly, was an application form with the heading, "Hutchinson YMCA, Private Swim Lessons."  And above that, in handwritten script, was the message: "Bucket List Item #4-You Can Do It!"  The sender of the message goes by the name "anonymous" so I have no idea who thought to send it to me.   But whoever they are, here is my message back to them.....


Dear Anonymous Friend,
Thank you for caring enough about me to go the trouble of sending me this letter.  Since you probably already know me very well, then you realize how scary this is to me.  I am afraid--and can already think of a thousand reasons why this is a BAD idea.


  Good thing that "private" lessons are offered because the fewer people that would see a 55-year old non-swimmer with anxiety issues of drowning, hop into the water, the better!  I could use the excuse that the cost ($56 for 4 half-hour lessons) is prohibitive but that's not an issue at this point. I am not sure that I even OWN a swimming suit so that means I'd have to go out and buy one and I HATE shopping for them....What will happen if I can't even remember the ONE part of swimming lessons, blowing bubbles in the water, that I DID pass back in 1965?  How humiliating to have to learn how to blow bubbles all over again!  And given enough time, I could probably give you at least a dozen more weak and lame excuses about why I can't learn to swim.


Item #4 on the "Miller Bucket List" is there because someone I consider to be very "near and dear" to me found out one day that I couldn't swim.  And he advised me, right then and there, that I needed to learn how swim well enough to save myself from drowning.  He said to "scratch" the idea of getting my first tattoo, save the money for a trip somewhere, and work on learning how to swim instead.  He believes I can do it and I guess now, whoever you are, well you believe it as well.


I have filled out the application with a thankful heart that at least they ONLY ask for an emergency contact person, not my next of kin.  That's a good sign, right?  The check for $56 is written out, tucked into the application, the envelope sealed.  It's Saturday afternoon and rather than mailing it to the YMCA, I am just going to drive it down there.  From my home on East 14th Street, I am less than a mile away.  I hadn't planned on doing this so quickly but while I have at least a bit of courage, I'm going for it.


I promise to let you know how I do.  Though I will probably never find out who you are, I will always have a gratitude filled heart for your belief in me.  Thank you for your kindness in giving me a much needed "kick in the seat of the pants."  I guess all of us need that from time to time.  I am certainly no exception.


As Always,  Peggy Miller


From the words of the angel, Tess...."No such thing as late.  Destiny always picks its own time."
"Chance disappears when you make a decision."


  







No comments:

Post a Comment