Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Through Meggy's eyes

Here I sit, just a few days from swimming lesson #2.  And in the few days that have passed from my first one last Friday, I've had some time to think about what might help me get through the next 3 lessons.  And the answer came to me in the form of a cute little 8-year old kid that lives in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida.....my great-niece Megan Dwyer.




  
Meet Meggy!  








Meggy and I have only met one time, 3 years ago now.  Wish to be able to see her more often but Kansas and Florida are not exactly "next door neighbors", in fact "those" 2 states don't even live around the block from one another.  So I keep up with what's going on in her young life from emails, Facebook, and photos.  And as I was looking through her mom's FB photo albums and saw that, she too was learning how to swim this month,  I realized that 8-year old could probably teach her Great-Aunt Peggy a thing or two about swimming.  


In a desperate e-mail yesterday to my niece, Mandy, Megan's mom, I said that I needed all the help I could get before my 2nd swimming lesson on Friday.  I gave her a message that said, "Tell Megan that I need to know everything she can tell me about blowing bubbles in the water.  And while you are at it, ask her to tell me how I can do the back float easier. "    


While I waited for Mandy's reply, I was remembering what Laurie, my swim teacher, told me on Friday.  We were talking about how, as adults, it's much harder to get over the fear of something that has been with us for so long.  In my case, what I considered a "near drowning" experience at the age of 10 had resulted in a nearly lifelong fear of going into the water.  Each day that passed since that summer day in 1965 just gave more "credibility" to the false notion that if Peggy Miller EVER  attempted swimming again the results would be "not so good".


Kids, on the other hand, are so much more adept at getting over their fears and trying new things with great success.  The less time that passes between their initial fears and actually learning to do something like learn to swim, the better.  And having gone through these many years afraid of the water, I'm so glad to see every child learn to swim at a very early age.  My two sons can manage well in the water.  My daughter is much like her mom in that respect and I hope that she too will someday learn to swim like her brothers.


At long last, the reply came back from Florida-  






Thank you dear Meggy-You make it sound SO EASY!  Part of the problem we "old" people have is that we like to make things more difficult than need be.  I shall remember your wonderfully youthful advice when I return to the pool on Friday.  I love you Meggy, all the way from Kansas to Florida!  Good luck with your swimming lessons too!  Love, Great-Aunt Peggy



No comments:

Post a Comment