Friday, June 24, 2011

Working on #4

Well, I guess it finally happened-46 years after I said, "I am NEVER taking swimming lessons again MOM and I mean it!!", little 10-year old Peggy Ann Scott had to "eat her words."  Thanks to the encouraging spirit of my very dear friend to "switch out" getting a tattoo for learning how to swim well enough to save my own life as well as the "anonymous" friend who sent me the application, I walked back into the water today, June 24, 2011.  And guess what?  Nothing bad happened to me because of it.


Hey, this is me, age 9 1/2, about the time I first went to swimming lessons in 1965.  "That little girl" didn't have a clue what would be waiting for her ahead in this life.  It was a wonderful time to be a kid and I tried to enjoy every minute of it!  Well, all except for swimming lessons, that is. 










Lest you think that I know how to "photoshop" a picture...it really is me..that really is water...and it was an "ok" place to be.






I am learning to swim in the smaller of the two pools that the local YMCA has.  When I got there this morning, there were probably a dozen or more older adults using the south end of the pool for their water exercise class.  As I walked in with Laurie (my teacher), I tried to be as discreet as I could be.  In my mind, I'm sure I was thinking "Geesch, I'm sure glad that I don't know anyone out there.  I'd hate for them to know I was just now learning how to swim."  


Well, this IS Hutchinson (small town America) and I hadn't made it even past where the group of swimmers were located before I heard one of them say, "Peggy. Is that you?  Hi!  What are you doing here?"  As I peered into the group, I recognized not just one,  but two of my former colleagues who have now retired.  


Well, GREAT, I thought.  So much for my "cloak of invisibility" working out for me.  I explained to my two friends, and hey the whole dang group of them, that for the first time since I was 10 years old that I was coming to learn how to swim.  And the really beautiful part of all that was that no one felt this need to laugh or question why I was doing it at my age.  Instead, they offered congratulations and good luck wishes.  


Before I got into the pool, I asked Laurie if this was going to be the longest 30 minutes of my life.  She laughed and reassured me that would not be the case.  Believing in her, trusting her with my well-being, I said that I was ready to get on with it.  So, in we went.


I must say to you, IF you ever were looking for someone to teach you to swim, you could only hope that it might be someone just like Laurie.  Her calm and reassuring demeanor made me realize that it was going to be a good thing to learn to swim.  She never rushed me, not even once, and listened to every single stupid question that I could think of to ask.  And trust me friends, I asked plenty of questions.


For today, she allowed me to get used to the pool and the varying water depths.  She realized my fear of getting in over my head.  Laurie is a bit "vertically challenged" herself, but at 5'3" tall, she seems like a "giant" to me!  She asked me to tell her when we were getting into water depths that I felt uncomfortable with.  I made it all the way to 4' without any panicking feeling.  4'5" was where I began to stand on tiptoes.  THAT was the point of being uncomfortable so we backed off right away.  That's what I liked about her as a teacher, she never pushed beyond what I was comfortable with at the time.


Laurie realized that my goal in working on Item #4 of my bucket list was to be able to learn to swim well enough to save myself from drowning.  I have no visions of being an Olympic swimmer or even going off of the diving board at this time in life.  But it IS realistic to me that perhaps one day I may need to be around water of some type.  And if I am, then I'd better know how to at least swim a little.  


Laurie told me that the best thing she felt like I could learn would be how to back float so a majority of the time was spent on that today.  I tried it several times, always remembering what she told me to do, as well as what NOT to do.  At first, I was rigid and nervous-not so good!  She taught me how important it is to relax, keep your tummy "up", keep your head back more.  Gradually things got better and I began to think to myself, "Hey, this isn't so bad after all!"


We only worked on one thing that I was not such a great fan of....blowing bubbles.  Yes, I know-that's the ONLY thing I passed back in 1965.  But a lot of water "has gone under the bridge" since then.  Today it was not fun at all.  Once again, she was calm and reassuring to me.  It took me a few tries to even feel comfortable doing it, but I made it.  It wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought.  So to whichever swimming teacher I had when I was 10, Julie or Jenny Fisher,  I just want them to know I didn't forget it-I still have it on the bubble blowing part!


Well, 30 minutes didn't last forever and before I knew it I was done.  We arranged for me to come back to my second lesson next Friday, same time and same place.  In the meantime, Laurie suggested I might like to come up before next Friday and just spend some time getting used to the pool and the water.  I plan to take her up on it.


As I was leaving, I stopped to visit with my new friend, Cleta.  She works the front desk and checks people in and out.  You might remember that Cleta was the one who mailed my application to me on Saturday of last week.  One of my friends, still remaining anonymous, went in and convinced Cleta to send me the application for adult swim lessons.  So "anonymous" friend, this much I can tell you.   I tried to get it out of Cleta once again today who it was that had her send me the letter in the mail.  And, once again, dear Cleta refuses to say.  In fact, today her comment was "hmm....I think I just forgot."  








So, for whoever it was who arranged for Cleta to send the application to me, rest assured that your secret identity is safe and sacred with our good friend, Cleta.  In the picture above, I had just checked in at the front desk.  Cleta is one of two very fine women who sit at the front desk and answer phones and questions of all the many patrons that come into the YMCA on a regular basis.  The world could use a whole lot more women, just like those two gals are.  


Learning to swim at my age has been a humbling experience for this teacher.  I've been a public school teacher now for 34 years and it's always been my responsibility to impart the teaching to the student.  Now, the tables are turned and it's "this" teacher that is totally reliant on someone else in order to learn something new.  I am up for the challenge and know that I will make my life better because of it.


  I'm very glad that I listened to my very good friend's advice, and "ditched" the idea of getting a tattoo.  Learning to swim was what I was supposed to do all along.  It may have taken 46 years to get back to it, but it's never really too late to learn.  


Lesson two, coming up next week!  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment