Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Late Night (Might as well say Early Morning) Thoughts :)

It's late...nearly 20 minutes to midnight and I'm awake writing one last post for this day.  I would never had done so had I not just seen a short story about Diana Nyad.  For those who don't know her, she is a world champion swimmer, who now at age 61, has decided to try to set the world record for swimming from Cuba to Florida.  Oh, and by the way, she doesn't plan to do it with the safety of a shark cage.  


Friends let me tell you, swimming from Cuba to Florida, with OR without a shark cage, will NEVER be on Peggy Miller's bucket list.  I'm going to stick to things that are more on the side of "sane" than "insane".  But for Diana Nyad, I am most happy.  She's doing what she wants to do in this life.  


When interviewed, she made a couple of comments that were pretty thought provoking.  She mentions the fact that growing older really hasn't been that big of an issue to her.  Diana recognizes the fact that wrinkles and some extra body fat just come with the advancement in years.  She isn't bothered by those things and accepts the fact that she is now advancing into her sixties.  How many of us would be able to feel that way?


What does bother her?  She explains, "The thing that bothers me the most is how much time has already gone by in my life and how very little is left."  When I heard her say that, I knew exactly what she meant.  And chances are, some of you reading this will agree as well. 


Diana went on to explain that she intends to live her remaining days to the fullest, being the best at what she is doing.  It might be as a swimmer, a family member or someone's best friend.  She's got the right idea about life, it would appear.  I'd like to be just like her!


As far as I'm concerned her comments were sent to me this day, to remind me that my Bucket List quest should involve those things that are the nearest and dearest, the most special to me.  I'm only 5 years behind her in age and when she says that she realizes how very little time is left, well I'm using the same calendar as she does. I have told people, many times before,  that I am getting closer to Heaven every day.  


With what ever time any of us have here on the Earth, may we use it wisely without any hesitation on our part.  Very few of us, me included, will ever be a championship swimmer. But there's a whole lot that remains for all of us to do-like Diana Nyad, may we all be ready for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment