Thursday, June 2, 2011

Parting Thoughts Before I Go

Less than 24 hours to go, before it's time to leave for Tribune.  I have ridden my last practice ride and "miracle of all miracles" have finished up the training season with no injuries AT ALL.  Giving thanks to my God above for that gift.  :) I need to finish packing and doing just a few last minute things around here.  I think I have everything just about ready but will be "double-checking" throughout the remaining hours here at home.  My hope is to make it to Tribune by about 4:00 on Friday afternoon and go through the check in process.  Then I will have Grahame take me to the Colorado border (16 miles away) in order that I can ride the 16 "unofficial" miles back into Tribune.  It's not mandatory but I figure if I'm going to do it, then I'd better ride each and every mile.  


I have much on my mind as I consider what lies ahead of me.  I would be lying if I said that I had no fear, because I do.  My biggest concern is NOT of whether or not I can physically ride the whole way, because I know I can.  The wind may slow me down or force me to stop momentarily but it won't "get me" this time.  The hills, well, what can I say.... they're hills!   I haven't had near the hill practice that I would have liked but I know how to ride them.  And, perhaps, there may be a hill or 2 that I will have to walk  my bike up.  And if that's the case, then so be it.  One thing I have FINALLY learned in this life is that foolish pride will get you in big trouble, every single time!


 My biggest concern, one I have had from the beginning, is my own mental attitude.  I know that my attitude will either defeat me or lift me up when the going gets pretty bad.  Anyone familiar with the acronym "H A L T" (never get too hungry, angry, lonely, or tired) will understand how very important following that advice is.  I am pretty sure that the first two or three days will be fine, barring any unforeseen thing happening.  It's the days that follow leaving McPherson that will truly be a test for me and I'm sure many of the other riders as well.  You can only face "so many" headwinds and steep, long hills before your spirit can be crushed and "giving up" seems like the only reasonable and sane thing to do.  But the adventure lies ahead of me and only God knows what will happen...and I'm a firm believer in the fact that God isn't going to just dump 900 bicyclists off in the wilderness and let us fend for ourselves.  So, I guess what I am telling you is that even though, at times, I might be the only cyclist in sight, I'm never going to be alone.  


By the time this is all finished, I will have become, in a good way, a very different person.  I must admit it, this is the first time in my 55 years of existence, that I will have spent this long of a time away from home and family.  When I jokingly tell my friends, "I don't get out much!", well, guys I really mean that.  I haven't gotten out much in this life.  So during the next 10 days, my plan is to have fun (despite anything that can happen) and learn a little bit more about the person I wish to be for the remaining years of time I've been allotted in this wonderful life.  


To you all, friends and family, thanks for reading this blog and keeping up with what happens to the BAK ers as we travel next week.  If you are so inclined to do so, please pray for all of us as we travel.....that we are safe and well and also for good judgement as we navigate through many obstacles that are to be found along the way.  


Well, for now, this is my last post until Saturday afternoon/evening after we get to the first stop of the week, Scott City.  I will do my best to post updates from each community but I know that I'm at the mercy of technology and I may or may not get to go online.  I will promise to try though.  


Best wishes to each of you from me.....Love to each one of you dear people in my life and please know that I am way MORE determined than I am afraid.  May peace be all of our journeys.  It's time-Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment