Saturday, June 11, 2011

Multi-tasking Bucket List Item #6

One of the things I have always been guilty of is procrastinating.  I guess I always figure, just like everyone else probably does, that there will always be time....Hey, if not today then probably tomorrow or even next week.  I know better than to do that-and as I remind myself and others....I'm getting a little closer to Heaven each day so IF I want to do something...then best get busy.


That's why I'm working on Bucket List Item #6, little by little each week.  In a "nutshell", Item #6 reminds me that I want to meet each of the friends I have on Facebook in person and buy them something to drink/have a conversation with them.


  Perhaps you are as guilty as I when it comes to "friending" people on Facebook.  At one time, and I'm being honest, I was waiting for the day when my 100th friend would appear.  It had NOTHING to do with having a friend...it had to do with it being the number 100.  That's when I realized that something wasn't quite right with my system.  IF I was going to "friend" someone, then I'd darn well better be ready to BE a friend to them...not just another person on their "list."  That's how I came up with Item #6.  


I don't know how you all feel about friends and friendship, but I am a firm believer in the fact that we need all of the friends we can get in this life.  You cannot have too many of them....and it's true, that some friends kind of come in and out of life and then back in again at what seems to be just the right moment in time.  I've come to learn that is "ok" as well....It's like a part of the plan.


Facebook has sometimes taken a "bad rap" for things that do not go just right.  Some people have abandoned its usage all together.  But I say to you, thank the good Lord above for it!  I have been able to stay in touch with all kinds of people through its website--from my family members far and wide, old friends from my hometown of Haven, KS, as well as a myriad of new people that, before I met them through Facebook, were complete strangers.  Do you have a similar experience?  Facebook, as a social medium, can be as wonderful or as horrible as we make it.  It's all up to us, the users.  


Hey, would you mind if I introduced you to a few of my friends?  Here are some photos of some of my FB friends that have already met with me for something to drink.  I'd sure like to tell you a little about them...You know, you may find out that you already have met them somewhere else along the line.  Who knows?  


Back in April, my good friend from Haven, Peggy Seck, joined me on a journey one Sunday morning to Manhattan, Ks.  We went to meet up with our good friend from high school, Dennis Ulrey.  Dennis is a pastor at one of the Baptist churches there.  We three "kids" all grew up together in the little town of Haven.  Dennis was that red-haired kid who was kind of ornery at times.  I remember him playing the trumpet in band.  The "other Peggy" was a farm kid, just like me.  In fact, for a time, just lived down the road from one another and rode the same bus to school.  It was wonderful to share a Sunday morning together and to listen to our good friend preach "the word."  It was the first time we had all been together since the early '70s.  I think we should take a vow to not let so much time pass before we meet again.

  This is my good friend, Linda Maudlin.  We haven't know one another for very many years but our children, Lindsey and Grahame, have been best friends now for a good deal of their lives.  Linda is kind of like my Grahame's "second mom".  I know that when Grahame is at her house that he is at "home" there.  A kid cannot have too many moms to watch out for him!  This was taken in February at Wendy's when we ate supper together with our kids.








Ella es mi amiga buena!  This is my very good friend, Marlen West.  She was also my bicycle buddy during the month of May.  Marlen and I first met when she worked at the care facility that my mom was living at.  What a hard worker!  Later on, she came to my school, Avenue A, and became my ESL paraprofessional.  Couldn't have made it without her!  Marlen is a native of Costa Rica and thus, is a great help for me with my Spanish.  I'm proud of everything that she has done in her life. 


These are just the first few that I've had the opportunity to sit down with and talk about life...I'll post more tomorrow.  Thanks to all who have helped me thus far in working on Item #6 of the Miller Bucket List.  


Tonight, if you are so inclined to say a prayer, remember to thank God for the gift of each friend you have been blessed with.  Without them, life would be a pretty bumpy road to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment